Getting ready for a party? Need to look ultra glam for an office event? Meeting up with your besties and want to look like the diva you are? No matter the occasion, if you need to apply makeup, you need to prep your skin for makeup first.
There are plenty of people who feel that just giving your skin a good scrub is more than enough prep for the skin before you apply those layers of makeup. What they might not know is that your skin needs to be not only clean, but also protected for the products you are about to apply on them.
Here is why it is imperative to prep your skin before you apply any makeup:
- For starters, you need to have an even foundation or base, before you can apply anything. After all, you don’t want your makeup to look patchy or uneven.
- When you apply a base of a good quality moisturiser or serum, you are giving your skin a layer of protection.
- By prepping your skin in advance, you are also ensuring that the makeup stays on for a longer duration.
These are the 4 main steps you need to follow to prep your skin for makeup:
- Start by cleansing your skin properly – use a cleanser that works for your skin type and use it to wash your face. Ensure that you work the cleanser onto all parts of your face and neck and then wash all traces off with warm water. Pat your skin dry, before moving to the next step.
- A gentle exfoliation would be a good idea, because it can remove traces of patchy or flaky skin. Moreover, by removing the dead skin cells, you are creating an even base, making this one of the best ways to prep skin for makeup. Don’t forget to exfoliate your lips as well, because if you are planning to apply any lip colours, you will need an even base here too!
- The next step would be moisturisation and this is easily one of the most important steps – should you choose our AM Sunrise Glow Serum, you will have all the nourishment that your skin needs for the day including vitamin C, vitamin E, ferulic acid and hyaluronic acid. Simply take the suggested amount in your hand or apply directly to the skin and gently rub it into your face and neck. You can use a lip balm for your lips too.
- Your skin prep for makeup also needs to have sunscreen at some point – with our AM Sunscreen Glow Drops, you have a double benefit. If you choose to apply it before you start your makeup, it works as a perfect primer, giving you a smooth surface to work on. Alternatively, if you want to use it at the end of the makeup, it can give you that glowing dewy look that you like. Either way, you need to make sure that you use this sunscreen, because the SPF 50+ and the UVA protection rating of PA++++ will ensure that your skin is protected.
And once you are done for the day, removing all the makeup carefully and giving your skin something to replenish and rejuvenate itself is just as important. When you pay as much attention to the steps to prep skin for makeup, you also need to pay equal attention to removing it all too!
We suggest that you use a good quality micellar water or cleansing balm to remove all traces of the makeup, including what you might have applied on your eyes, eyelids, lips and neck. With a gentle cleanser you should wash your face clean and finish the routine with a gentle application of our PM Sunset Restore Serum, which will work on repairing your skin, while you sleep.
Use these tips and tricks and you will always turn out looking pretty close to perfection.
However, with the regular use of our serums you just might not need makeup any more, because natural will be the way you will want to go!